Sunday, August 22, 2010

practice

This afternoon's wheel session was a great disappointment. I just glanced at my army of arches and have no doubt that they're conspiring to march off to someone who can, at the very least, pull them into decent cylinders.

One thought kept me going-- an individual must devote at least 10,000 hours to something before mastering it. Of course, those who are naturally talented may log far fewer hours before becoming adept. The rest of us must practice. This Radiolab episode offers an entertaining look at the relationship between talent, practice, and success.

I've been thinking a lot about how lucky I am to have the luxury of being frustrated by my lack of talent on the wheel. I have a job that pays the bills and leaves me with enough time and money to pursue other interests, such as pottery. Although my income to debt ratio places me in the ranks of the lower middle class, compared to many in this country (and many more around the world), I am rich.

Sometimes I feel guilty for spending time pursuing my own interests while so many others are struggling. Then I think of how quickly the years fly by and I know I am on the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment