Sunday, August 8, 2010

routine

I've never been a very good creature of habit. While I fit very well into existing structures, such as work and school, I have yet to succeed at creating consistent routines in my personal life. There is within me a deep rebellion against the notion that life may be divided into little boxes and arranged in a tidy row. Life is a whole lot messier (and more wondrous) than that.

At this point in my life, I crave order. Not the sort of spine tightening order of the woman down the street, who walks her shih tzu every day at 6 am and calls the police when the neighbors' raucous backyard BBQ goes on past sunset. I crave an order that will allow me to develop my talents and pursue the interests that bring me joy. I would like to follow this command from Gustave Flaubert, "Be regular and orderly in your life, so that you may be violent and original in your work."


This weekend I began rereading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. The first time I read it, I enjoyed it, but (since I've never had any delusions of becoming a writer) it didn't particularly "speak" to me. Now that several years have passed and I am attempting to learn a new craft, her words are like those of an honest and gentle mentor. Today, I did not feel like throwing until I thought of the chapters "Short Assignments" and "Perfectionism." I decided I didn't have to create something I could be proud of, I just had to throw.

So I did. Although I didn't create something worth keeping, it was good to get my hands back into clay. I am still having a lot of trouble with pulling, but I've found that wedging, centering, and opening have become much easier. Pulling will surely follow. The bottom of this bowl is way to thin and its shape is the result of my decision to salvage an unwieldy pull. I plan to practice trimming on it.
 

4 comments:

  1. One of the really nice things about reading blogs is that they contain surprises, often in the form of yummy recipes or sometimes... book titles! I haven't read any of Anne Lamott's books before, but I have hopped across to Amazon.com and have just been enjoying several pages of "Bird by Bird" on line! and I may have to get myself a copy! So, thanks for mentioning the book in your blog!

    I think you are right about making order in life so that there is time to do the creative things that you want to do. It is definitely something we struggle with here. It is amazing how many "worthy" things can crowd into a day and push away any opportunity to actually make new pots on the wheel!

    Well done for doing some throwing when you really didn't feel like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small world, I was just reading Bird By Bird last night (I love the chapter about $#!%%y first drafts). The book is wonderful for teaching life lessons, especially for creative people.
    Good luck improving your pulling.
    Here is a link to a demo Charlie Riggs gave at Mudfire, maybe it will help you:
    http://www.youtube.com/mikespots#p/u/12/pTJ4TGZBT0E

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps, here's part one of the demo:

    http://www.youtube.com/mikespots#p/u/14/n2zx2fyQcoc and part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/mikespots#p/u/13/f5LQZyYFTkE
    the link for part 3 is up above.
    Part 2 is where Charlie describes pulling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Peter. Bird by Bird is definitely worth your time.

    Thanks for the demo links, Lori! I've found them to be very useful.

    ReplyDelete